June 30, 2012

Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and making a cloud



Uranus and Neptune are also gas giants like Saturn and Jupiter. They are blue because of the methane gas in their atmospheres so we made our background paper color two shades of blue. One shade for Neptune the other for Uranus.


The next chapter and the last one for us this year is on Pluto and the Kuiper belt. We have been using Jennie Fulbright's text Exploring Creation through Astronomy.


There has been a big debate whether of not Pluto is a comet or a planet. Officially it is now a comet, but we looked at the evidence and I gave the boys a chance to vote for themselves...they voted that Pluto is a planet, I think it is a comet. What do you think?


How to make a cloud in a jar
  1. add warm/hot water to a jar.
  2. light a match and top it in.
  3. place a ziplock bag with ice in it over the opening of the jar and seal the opening closed.
  4. watch the cloud form.



This T.J's final map drill of the planets. Great job Guys!!

And that is all for our astronomy studies this year....we are already onto looking at birds and insects.



2 comments:

  1. Everyone did such a great job on their chapter lesson for their notebooking. We are almost finished with this book as well. I have enjoyed looking at your pictures. So sweet. It is nice to see someone else at about the stage we are at as well doing the same activities and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Sarah! I appreciate your blog. Daniel is still a bit young, but you're inspiring me for the future! Also it is encouraging me to blog more now myself. Right now my blog is mainly focused on my adjustment to the Middle East. You can check it out if you want. arabadventure.blogspot.com

    Hope to chat with you in person again some day!

    ReplyDelete