May 15, 2010

Rushing History

I was looking over the materials I had planned for next year in History (Ancient Greece and Rome) and realized that for the age level of my kids, (twins 5 and Max 7), I was too gungho and rushing them too fast.  Most people don't do Greece and Rome until age 8. As I looked at the material I realized that my boys would miss so much if we tried to tackle it now....so why rush? How I missed this point when I was planning last year I don't know. Some how I got two years ahead and was feeling behind. All that to say we are slowing way down and I will be starting History over from the beginning with a whole new set of materials this next fall. The Spine we were using, I still aboslutely love. I love how Chirstine Miller has revamped H.A. Guerber's Histories with maps, art history and woven Bible and creation theories into the text. I have learned tons in reading them. But the boys are not ready for it. It lacks pictures and the stories are a bit over their heads. They groan a deep groan when I pull it out. Charlotte Mason said to throw out books which bore the student. She is right, but, I decided to keep it for later and keep reading them myself.
So, I will begin again next year using Greenleaf Press's Guide to the old testament and spend a whole year on that using activities and living books mostly the Bible. The following year we will use Green Leaf Press's Guide to Ancient Egypt, with activities and living books. This puts us on a nice 7 year tour through history before we repeat it again in the Dialect stage using the great books via Omnibus.
Slowing down will give us more time to spend on the basics of writing and reading which is the the main focus of the first few years.

Why do I love doing History from a Biblical perspective?
because.....
We will not hide them from our children;
We will tell the next generation
The praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
His power, and the wonders he has done….
So the next generation would know them,
Even the children yet to be born
And they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
But would keep his commands.

Psalms 78: 4,6,7

No comments:

Post a Comment